Saturday, 10 July 2010

Emmy Nominations 2010

I’m a little later than I would have liked to have been reporting this – damn you day job – but on Thursday the 2010 Prime time Emmy nominations were announced by Modern Family’s Sofia Vergara and Community’s Joel McHale.

Over the years I’ve almost become immune to getting angry at the nominations for the Emmys, because year after year they continue to frustrate and disappoint.

I’m going to try my damnedest not to piss and moan about who was robbed and who is missing from the nominations etc. in this post – I did enough of that on twitter in the aftermath of the nominations announcement on Thursday.

It has to be said though that the fact that Sons of Anarchy was overlooked across the board is a farce, but I can kind of see how the outlaw biker culture the show depicts would turn off voters. That said, Katey Sagal not even being in the voting for her flawless performance in SOA’s breakout second season is nothing short of a crime.

I don’t want to dwell on the negative though so on to the positive and who, in what I would currently call a golden age of TV, has earned a nomination in some of the big categories at this year’s awards.

Outstanding Drama Series

- True Blood
- Dexter
- Breaking Bad
- Mad Men
- Lost
- The Good Wife

This award should have been renamed ‘The Mad Men Award’ in recent years and I can’t see that changing this year in spite of the show having, in my opinion, its weakest season this year. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Mad Men but after a truly outstanding year this award deserves to go to Breaking Bad.

True Blood being up there is almost a joke compared to some of the shows that missed out (Sons of Anarchy, Justified) and I can’t help but feel Lost is only in there this year for the sake of nostalgia and sentimentality.

Mad Men will win, Breaking Bad should win.

Outstanding Comedy Series

- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- 30 Rock
- Modern Family
- Nurse Jackie
- The Office
- Glee

In a similar vein to the drama category, this award should be renamed ‘The 30 Rock Award’. Will Tina Fey’s brilliant comedy win again? I wouldn’t bet against it but 30 Rock is, again like Mad Men, coming off arguably its weakest season and there has been a lot of love dished out this year to the likes of Glee and Modern Family.

The Office could be a dark horse in light of Carell’s departure from the show and Curb is coming off its best season in a while thanks to the Seinfeld reunion arc. What Nurse Jackie is even doing nominated in this category is beyond me because I didn’t even think it was a comedy.

If 30 Rock is to be dethroned this year though I see it being one of the newbies that does it and my vote goes to the brilliant Modern Family, which has been consistently fantastic all season… I have a horrible feeling Glee might just cause the upset though.

30 Rock probably will win but if there is an upset it will be Glee that causes it, Modern Family should win.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series

- Jon Hamm (Don Draper, Mad Men)
- Hugh Laurie (Gregory House, House)
- Bryan Cranston (Walter White, Breaking Bad)
- Kyle Chandler (Eric Taylor, Friday Night Lights)
- Michael C. Hall (Dexter Morgan, Dexter)
- Matthew Fox (Jack Shepherd, Lost)

This to me is a two-horse race between previous winner Cranston and Hamm.

And as good as Hamm is as Don Draper, Bryan Cranston is career-defining brilliant in Breaking Bad and deserves this more based on performances this season.

For the upset Kyle Chandler could be a good bet because I genuinely can’t see what Hugh Laurie did this year that can elevate him above the leading pair, likewise Michael C. Hall and the only way Matthew Fox wins is if everyone gets misty eyed about Lost no longer being with us.

Bryan Cranston should win, who will win? I have a feeling Hamm regains his crown this year.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

- Larry David (‘Himself’, Curb Your Enthusiasm)
- Steve Carell (Michael Scott, The Office)
- Jim Parsons (Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory)
- Alec Baldwin (Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock)
- Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester, Glee)
- Tony Shalhoub (Adrian Monk, Monk)

This is a tough one to call, ordinarily I’d go for Baldwin, but 30 Rock wasn’t at its finest this year and that is largely due to Jack Donaghy being saddled with a pretty shoddy love-triangle storyline for most of the season.

So I’m going to look for a potential upset here and say Matthew Morrison takes it for Glee. His Will Schuester is one of the more likeable characters in a show that is surprisingly full of unlikeable ones and he has carried most of the show’s heavy lifting, both musically and in terms of drama. The one thing that could let him down, aside from being a newcomer, is the fact that he wasn’t actually that funny this year.

Steve Carell could ride the nostalgia wave for his final season on The Office and I know The Big Bang Theory has become inexplicably popular so don’t rule out Parsons. I’d love to see old L.D. take it for another great year of Curb but I don’t see it and as for Shalhoub: is Monk even still on TV!?

In an ideal world Larry David would win, but this is the Emmys we’re talking about so realistically it goes to Carell or Baldwin but I’d like to see Matthew Morrison take home the crown.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series

- January Jones (Betty Draper, Mad Men)
- Mariska Hargitay (Olivia Benson, Law & Order: SVU)
- Julianna Margulies (Alicia Florrick, The Good Wife)
- Kyra Sedgwick (Brenda Johnson, The Closer)
- Connie Britton (Tami Taylor, Friday Night Lights)
- Glenn Close (Patty Hewes, Damages)

I’ve got to admit that with the exception of January Jones in Mad Men I’m not familiar with any of theses actresses work in these roles.

From what I know I would say that is irrelevant anyway to making a decision here because due to the Mad Men factor I would imagine Jones would win this. I’m not her biggest fan but if her goal with Betty Draper was to make her an almost cartoonishly unlikeable character then she is one hell of an actress.

If Julianna Margulies wins I will find it hilarious that a woman who was in Snakes on a Plane won the best actress Emmy.

I guess if I had to pick one here I’d go for Connie Britton, not that I’ve seen her in this role just because I used to like her when she was in Spin City.

Who should win? I honestly don’t know. Who will win? January Jones.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series

- Tina Fey (Liz Lemon, 30 Rock)
- Lea Michelle (Rachel Berry, Glee)
- Amy Poehler (Leslie Knope, Parks and Recreation)
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Christine Campbell, The New Adventures of Old Christine)
- Edie Falco (Jackie Peyton, Nurse Jackie)
- Toni Collette (Tara Gregson, The United States of Tara)

Again, Nurse Jackie is a comedy!?

Tina Fey will undoubtedly win here and given the fact that the only other nominee I’m familiar with in the role is Lea Michelle I’d have to agree.

I can’t stand the Rachel character on Glee, in fact I hate her so much I want to put my foot through the TV every time she opens that huge mouth of hers – I’ll be mortified if she wins here.

I’d love to see the very funny and very talented Amy Poehler win even if it’s for a role I’ve not yet had the privilege of seeing her in (come on someone in the UK pick up P & R!) but this is Fey’s award to lose.

Louis-Dreyfus is still dining out on past Seinfeld glories and unless The Sopranos factor swings it for Falco I say Fey wins yet again.

Toni Collette is the dark horse here as United States of Tara is a show I’m completely ignorant about.

Fey, controversially maybe, should and does win.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series

- Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Mitchell Pritchett, Modern Family)
- Ty Burrell (Phil Dunphy, Modern Family)
- Eric Stonestreet (Cameron Tucker, Modern Family)
- Jon Cryer (Alan Harper, Two and a Half Men)
- Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel, Glee)
- Neil Patrick Harris (Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother)

Hmm, I wonder if someone from Modern Family is going to win this award.

Of the three, I’d honestly be happy to see any of them take the award because they are all brilliant on the show in their own ways: loud Cameron, neurotic Mitchell and the superbly deluded Phil. Ty Burrell would be my pick because he is just awesome in this show and gives me the biggest laughs out of everyone on the show.

If someone is to overcome the odds and beat one of the Modern Family nominees I’d like it to be Neil Patrick Harris who is by far the best thing about Modern Family and routinely bogarts all the best lines. Don’t overlook veteran Jon Cryer though, because although it’d be wrong, it wouldn’t be too much of a shock for him to win, again.

The only person I really don’t want to see win here is Chris Colfer because I loathe the Kurt character on Glee – there are far better supporting actors on that show, Mark Salling for one. Kurt started out a great actor but by the end of the season they had really ruined him and I just can’t get behind a Colfer win here.

One of the Modern Family gang should, and probably will, win here and I hope it’s the excellent Burrell, even if he does share a surname with one of the most awful men on the planet – a man who further cemented his reputation as an uber-douche by appearing on Fox News during the Queen’s recent trip to New York.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series

- John Slattery (Roger Sterling, Mad Men)
- Aaron Paul (Jesse Pinkman, Breaking Bad)
- Andre Braugher (Owen Thoreau Jnr., Men of a Certain Age)
- Martin Short (Leonard Winstone, Damages)
- Terry O’Quinn (John Locke, Lost)
- Michael Emerson (Benjamin Linus, Lost)

There’s only one man who should be taking home the statue in this category and his name is Aaron Paul.

John Slattery is great in Mad Men but has been nothing more than a peripheral player recently; I can’t help but wonder if his recent appearance as Tony Stark’s Dad in Iron Man helped contribute towards his inclusion here.

I like Andre Braugher as an actor but haven’t seen any of Men of a Certain Age, likewise Damages so I can’t comment on Martin Short. Comedians going serious though is always popular at awards ceremonies so Short could be a dark horse here.

The Lost duo both have a shot especially with the show now having ended, I definitely think Lost will be taking home at least one award and it could well be this. Although Ben was pushed back in the prominence stakes for Lost’s final season as they scrambled to give every member of the huge ensemble adequate screen time, Emerson remained fantastic in the role.

O’Quinn meanwhile seemed to relish playing Locke both good (flash-sideways) and bad (on the island, as The Man in Black) so for his diversity in the role could also be in with a shout. If someone is to rob Aaron Paul I imagine it could be Terry O’Quinn this year.

Seriously though this has to be Aaron Paul’s this year, he is arguably more deserving this year than Cranston is in the Lead category, he has made Jesse one of the most compelling characters on TV and the heartbreak and anguish he can portray is astounding.

Aaron Paul should, and I’m quietly confident, will win; if someone is to upset the apple cart though I’ll go for O’Quinn.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series

- Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester, Glee)
- Kristen Wiig (Various, Saturday Night Live)
- Julie Bowen (Claire Dunphy, Modern Family)
- Sofia Vergara (Gloria Delgado-Pritchett, Modern Family)
- Jane Krakowski (Jenna Maroney, Modern Family)
- Holland Taylor (Evelyn Harper, Two and a Half Men)

There’s only one lady winning this award and that is Jane Lynch, and I have absolutely no problem with that at all.

Sue Sylvester is a monster of a comedy character, she has perhaps become the most quoted TV character of all time thanks to her endless supply of one-liners and scathing put-downs and a win here would be richly deserved.

Lynch has been a brilliant comedy actress for many a year and it’s almost a shame it’s taken this long for her to finally gain some recognition; Thanks to her brilliance in Glee though she should and will be an Emmy-winner come the 29th of August.

Of the two Modern Family nominees, Julie Bowen definitely gets to flex her comedy muscles more than Sofia Vergara, so if someone is to upset Lynch and the Modern Family bubble plays a part in that I’d go for Bowen.

Elsewhere, Kristen Wiig is without a doubt the funniest woman on the planet and there’d be no complaints from me if she did cause a huge upset, but I can’t see it happening. I do have a little gripe that SNL isn’t classed as a comedy series in the Show category yet Wiig can be nominated in the Actress from a Comedy Series category, it doesn’t seem fair really.

I adore Jane Krakowski in 30 Rock and she has rapidly become the show’s go to character for brilliant one-liners and gags, again there’d be no complaints from me if she managed to upset Jane Lynch in this unbelievably strong category.

Holland Taylor’s nomination is purely down to being a veteran of the category and I can’t see her winning this year at all.

This is Lynch’s year and I’ll be amazed, but I can’t say too upset, if she doesn’t win.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series

- Christina Hendricks (Joan Harris, Mad Men)
- Archie Panjabi (Kalinda Sharma, The Good Wife)
- Elisabeth Moss (Peggy Olson, Mad Men)
- Rose Byrne (Ellen Parsons, Damages)
- Sharon Gless (Madeline Westen, Burn Notice)
- Christine Baranski (Diane Lockhart, The Good Wife)

Apart from the Mad Men girls I can’t really judge this category at all.

I know I said I wouldn’t piss and moan about absentees but just a quick one: Maggie Siff missing out here and Christina Hendricks being included when Christina Hendricks didn’t even appear in half the season is a joke. As Tara in Sons of Anarchy Maggie Siff was amazing this season and although the Leading Actress category seems strong, which could possibly be used as an excuse to account for Katey Sagal’s absence, this category seems somewhat weak this year and I can’t believe Siff isn’t included here.

I do enjoy me some Christina Hendricks but the fact she wasn’t in half the season, and even then was barely featured means she shouldn’t be winning here.

I’m going to go for Elisabeth Moss here who has dropped down from the Leading Actress category to fight it out here, it’s akin to a horse dropping down in class so I envisage this could be an easy win for Moss, especially given that she’s on Mad Men which the Academy seems to have perma-boners for.

The Good Wife seems to have had a lot of love here this year so if someone is going to topple Mad Men’s dominance it could well be one of the nominees from that show. Of the two Good Wife actresses nominated I’d go for Christine Baranski, as she’s a veteran actor who seems to be fondly regarded in these circles.

In terms of who should win I’m struggling to make an informed decision, but I envisage this will probably go to Mad Men and Elisabeth Moss.

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series

- Mike O’Malley (Burt Hummel, Glee)
- Jon Hamm (Drew Baird, 30 Rock)
- Eli Wallach (Bernard Zimberg, Nurse Jackie)
- Fred Willard (Frank Dunphy, Modern Family)
- Will Arnett (Devon Banks, 30 Rock)
- Neil Patrick Harris (Bryan Ryan, Glee)

Here’s another shining example of Mad Men’s unbelievable dominance at the Emmys: Jon Hamm wasn’t even that good in his guest spot on 30 Rock, sure he was funny but not award-winning funny, yet here he is nominated again.

I honestly believe Hamm could star in a comedy adaptation of Mein Kampf and he’d get nominated for an Emmy.

As soon as I saw Neil Patrick Harris’ guest spot on Glee I knew he’d get nominated here, and I was right, but as much as I love him, I don’t think he deserves the win. His guest spot on Glee actually left me a little disappointed; to quote his character, he’s so “awesome” on How I Met Your Mother I thought he’d bring some of that to Glee but something just didn’t click for me.

I’m not familiar with Eli Wallach and I’m still maintaining Nurse Jackie isn’t a comedy, so let’s skip past him.

Fred Willard was, well Fred Willard in Modern Family and was good but not great – no complaints from me if he were to win though. The same goes for Will Arnett in 30 Rock, who is always great but I think his best work in that role has been in previous seasons.

So that leaves one man, and he just happens to be the most deserving. I’ve always liked Mike O’Malley and he has been great in Glee this year as Kurt’s Dad. The scenes between O’Malley and Chris Colfer have always been heart-warming and packing an emotional punch and he really does deserve this.

The only problem he may have is that he has rarely got to be ‘funny’ in the role and given this is the comedy category that could go against him. Given the context of his performance though, I’d be very surprised if he wasn’t the favourite to take this.

Mike O’Malley deserves to win here and I dare say he will, but don’t underestimate the Jon Hamm factor – if Hamm loses out on the lead actor statue this could be how the Academy soften the blow.

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series

- Robert Morse (Bertram Cooper, Mad Men)
- John Lithgow (Arthur Mitchell, Dexter)
- Gregory Itzin (Charles Logan, 24)
- Dylan Baker (Colin Sweeney, The Good Wife)
- Ted Danson (Arthur Frobisher, Damages)
- Alan Cumming (Eli Gold, The Good Wife)
- Beau Bridges (George Andrews, The Closer)

I don’t see how Robert Morse is a ‘Guest Actor’, he practically appears in every episode of Mad Men, and he is hardly outstanding in the role – but hey, he’s on Mad Men so what did we expect!?

I’d love to see Gregory Itzin win for his return to 24, where he was sublimely slimy and practically saved the entire season from sucking but from what I’ve read and heard this is John Lithgow’s award.

I’m somewhat of a heathen in that I still haven’t got in to Dexter but I heard nothing but good things about Lithgow’s guest run last season.

The same goes for Ted Danson, who has become a brilliantly dark TV actor; although I don’t watch Damages either I’d love to see Danson win.

The Good Wife’s huge nominations haul also continues here but I realistically can’t see anyone beating Lithgow.

John Lithgow should, and barring another Mad Men-related farce, will win.

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series

- Kristin Chenoweth (April Rhodes, Glee)
- Jane Lynch (Linda Freeman, Two and a Half Men)
- Christine Baranski (Beverly Hofstadter, The Big Bang Theory)
- Tina Fey (Herself/Host, Saturday Night Live)
- Kathryn Joosten, Karen McCluskey, The Chase)
- Betty White (Herself/Host, Saturday Night Live)
- Elaine Stritch (Colleen Donaghy, 30 Rock)

Like Jon Hamm in the Guest Actor Category, I can’t help but feel Baranski and Lynch are only nominated here because they are nominated elsewhere and this could be a way to cushion the blow of not winning the ‘bigger’ award they are up for.

Lynch is good in Two and a Half Men but she is essentially playing the same sarcastic character she always plays and she does it so much better in Glee.

So as much as I disagree with SNL counting as a comedy here but not in the show category, I’m sticking my neck out slightly and saying that Betty White has to win this.

I just can’t see how she doesn’t, she’s a national treasure (a real national treasure, not the Cheryl Cole variety) and her SNL hosting performance was praised across the land.

Tina Fey could prove the stiffest competition and if 30 Rock gets knocked off its perch in some of the other categories this could be another blow softener.

Kristin Chenoweth was good in Glee but again I don’t think she was award-winning good and I can’t help but feel this is just another nomination because it was on Glee, if she’d done that on Parks & Recreation she wouldn’t have gotten a look in.

Betty White should be going home victorious here – it’ll bring the house down, I can already see the standing ovation, but don’t rule out those nominated in other categories picking up a sympathy win if they lose elsewhere.

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series

- Mary Kay Place (Adaleen Grant, Big Love)
- Sissy Spacek (Marilyn Densham, Big Love)
- Ann-Margaret (Rita Willis, Law & Order: SVU)
- Elizabeth Mitchell (Juliet Burke, Lost)
- Shirley Jones (Lola Zellman, The Cleaner)
- Lily Tomlin (Marilyn Tobin, Damages)

Apart from Elizabeth Mitchell I can’t critique any of these performances.

I love Elizabeth Mitchell and Juliet was such a great character, her scenes with Sawyer in the finale were tearjerkingly brilliant but I don’t think she was good enough to win here. I’d love to see it happen but I just don’t think it will.

Who will take the award home instead? I’m going to take a punt on Lily Tomlin.

Don’t ask me why, maybe I should get Paul the Octopus to have a go at picking the winner here…

Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy

- Saturday Night Live
- The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
- The Colbert Report
- The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien
- Real Time with Bill Maher

Being a resident of the UK I don’t get to see many of these apart from The Daily Show and occasionally Colbert when it isn’t ridiculously scheduled.

That doesn’t matter though because even if I was a regular viewer of all five of these shows, my pick to win would still be The Daily Show, and The Daily Show will win this award.

Jon Stewart is not just my comedy hero, he is also among the most influential men in the World, just from hosting a ‘fake news’ show. The number of people who rely on Stewart to keep them abreast of global developments rather than the 24-hour networks is almost frightening.

SNL is long past its best even with the brilliant Andy Samberg and Kristen Wiig in the cast, Colbert, as good as he is, owes all his success to Stewart and The Daily Show, Bill Maher is great but is a very polarising figure and Conan’s work this year has been overshadowed by all the off-screen shenanigans with the network.

There is only one winner in this category and it’s The Daily Show – it should, and will, win.

So there you have my thoughts on who should, and who actually will, win in each of the ‘big’ categories at this year’s Primetime Emmy Awards.

What do you think of the nominations, and who are your picks to win? Tune in on 29th August to see if you and I were right…

The 62nd Annual Primetime Emmy Awards will take place on 29th August 2010 and will take place at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles. Jimmy Fallon is on hosting duties.


1 comment:

  1. Drama Series:
    Should win: Mad Men. It didn't have its best season, but I think this season of Breaking Bad was just as flawed, MM had greater peaks.
    Will Win: Mad Men
    Should be there: Friday Night Lights

    Lead Actress, Drama:
    Should Win: Connie Britton. A fantastic actress who was given a baity storyline (abortion).
    Will Win: Julianna Margulies
    Should be there: Katey Sagal, Sons of Anarchy

    Lead Actor, Drama:
    Should Win: Jon Hamm. This is probably as close as he'll get to the Emmy. I feel it's now or never for him.
    Will Win: Michael C. Hall
    Should Be There: Timothy Olyphant, Justified

    Supp. Actress, Drama:
    Should Win: Christina Hendricks. It doesn't matter that she wasn't there half of the time. When she was there, she was doing brilliant work.
    Will Win: Elizabeth Moss or Christine Baranski
    Should Be There: Khandi Alexander, Treme. Her abscence is a true shame.

    Supp. Actor, Drama:
    Should Win: Andre Braugher
    Will Win: Andre Braugher
    Should Be There: Michael B Jordan, Friday Night Lights and Dean Morris, Breaking Bad

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails